Monday, January 24, 2011

Speaking and Giving Public Presentations

We spent considerable time talking about preparing and organizing public presentations.  We discussed both the Mind Map, and the Message House approach to organizing our thoughts and ideas into a logical and understandable presentation.  Margee also taught us about proper posture and the use of hand gestures to make you look more at ease and the presentation more interesting (somethings I need to work on).

We also talked about the use of slides and visuals in presentations.  What makes them helpful?  What might make them a distraction?

Here are two power point presentations that I put together.  The first is an introduction for myself that I gave the first night we met as a PAL class.  The second was done as an assignment for our last module in St. Louis.  This was an interesting presentation for me to put together because I do not agree with the argument that is being made, but it was a good learning experience to have to look at presenting the other side of the issue.  It is done from the standpoint of the Natural Resource Defense Council regarding Cap and Trade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment