Saturday, January 29, 2011

Shooting, Editing, and Sharing Videos

One of the first things the PAL coordinators did was to mail each of the participants a flip share video camera and have us make a short video to introduce ourselves to the class.  I have been asked to make several videos since that time for different assignments, even my kids had me help them make a couple of videos telling about our dairy.  My first video wasn’t too impressive, but with a little coaching and practice the videos have gotten easier to watch.   

A couple of the things I have learned about making videos.   
  • Shoot the clips you think you want several times and pick the best one to use, don’t just settle for the first shot. 
  • Get several different shots of the same thing: close-up, mid-range, and far away.  Multiple short clips from different angles will usually do a great job illustrating what you want the viewer to see.
  • Hold the camera steady, use a tripod if necessary.  People will not watch videos that jump all over for very long. 

This is a video I made for "Life in a Day", a documentary produced from video's all shot the same day and submitted on Youtube.

This video was put together to be shown on Food Nutrition and Science, an online publication. The video was featured in their farm tour series and is a tour of my family dairy farm.

My son Kyle (age 11) made this video entitled "Together We Can Feed the World" about our family working together on our dairy farm to produce enough milk to feed about 3500 people their 3 servings of milk each day.

My daughter Rachel (age 12) made this video entitled "Together We Can Put the Milk in Your Fridge" about all the people who work together to get the milk to the store so you can buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment